What is Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver LTS Server?
Ubuntu is a Debian-based Linux Operating System and distribution for personal computers, Smartphones and Network Servers. It uses Unity as its default user interface. It is based on free software. The Server version comes with X Windows Environment in a default installation. Ubuntu Server Edition supports three major architectures: x86-64 (amd64).
In this article, we’ll discuss about how to install server version of Ubuntu. In these process you can install and configure Ubuntu Server in your Virtual Box easily
1. You will need to download the current version of Ubuntu Server from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server. After downloaded you need to create a bootable CD/DVD or USB flash.
2. Once done, put the disc in your drive, or insert the USB flash, and reboot your machine. Make sure that you set your BIOS to boot either from the CD/DVD or USB flash depending on which installation method you choose.
3. Now open Virtual Box and click to the New bottom. You’ll see this pop-up window. You can insert OS name, type and version whichever you’ve download.
4. Now you need to set your Memory size (RAM), for me I took 1024 MB (1 GB), you can choose your own.
5. Now you need to set up your Hard Drive space, select Create a virtual hard drive now, and click Create.
6. Choose Hard drive file type, select the 1st one, VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) and click the Next bottom.
7. Now you’ve to choose the type of Storage on physical hard drive. I choose the Dynamically allocated and hit Next.
8. After that, you need to select your File location and hard drive space, I took 50 GB of space, you can choose yourself. Then click on Create bottom.
9. After that, you’ve to click the Start Bottom on top menu.
10. Now the system ask you for Auto capture keyboard turn on or off, for me- I choose Do not show this message again box and click ok.
11. Now you need to select your ISO file, DVD or Flash Drive and click the Start bottom.
12. That’s all, your setup is finish. Now you can choose your language, for me I choose English, choose yours and hit Enter.
13. Next, you can see this windows, you’ll choose the 1st option- Install Ubuntu Server and hit Enter.
14. After that, you need to Select your geographical location.
15. Now, Configure your keyboard. I choose no to manually choose the keyboard.
16. Now you need to choose the country origin, I choose the English (US) for country origin.
17. Choose the English (US) keyboard layout.
18. After this, the system will detect the hardware to find a CD-ROM drive.
19. Next, the installation will detect and load any additional component.
20. After that, your system will detect the network hardware.
21. After this task, you’ve type in the host name whatever you want to configure your server, for me I took my hostname as- server.
22. Now you need to Setup user and password, type your full name and continue.
23. Set your username, for me I took fosslover, choose yours and hit continue.
24. Now type your password for the username and continue.
25. Choose if you like to encrypt your home directory or not. I recommend selecting No, because it makes it easier to do recovery if needed in case a corruption of data happens.
26. After that, you need to Configure clock, and time zone. Select Yes and hit enter.
27. Now you can see the installation is detecting disks, and other hardware.
28. At this stage is were you partition your disk(s). Select Guided as it is the default method.
29. After that, Select the partition of your choice, it’s looks like SCSI3.
30. Now Select Yes to start writing the changes to disks, and configure LVM.
31. Now Answer Yes to actually write the changes to disk.
32. In this windows, you can see the installation is copying data.
33. After that, the installation is configuring Apt Sources List.
34. In this windows you can configure a Proxy. I select Continue since I’m not using a proxy. You can select yours.
35. The installation is selecting the software being installed.
36. Here you can choose configure how to install updates. I choose the 2nd option, which is automatic method.
37. You can choose one these option at the time of install or later. if you select continue, you can manually choose what you want to install later. For me I choose some of them.
38. The all software are installing, if you didn’t choose, it’s ok, you can install later.
39. Now you can see the Grub installation is started.
40. Now you need to select Yes to install grub to the Master Boot Record.
41. After Finishing the installation. Select continue and remove the disk or USB.
42. Congratulation! You’re done. Reboot your machine.
43. This is Your Login screen Now, type your username you created earlier, and your password to login. That’s it.
44. This is your Welcome screen. You are now logged in to your new Ubuntu server!
I think, by this article, you should have Idea About How to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS “Bionic Beaver” Server in Oracle Virtual Box step-by-step. You should also know some basic important commands that will help you to work in Linux Server. Finally, you should be comfortable to install Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS “Bionic Beaver” in your system. Thank You.
Arun is a Linux Ethusiast who loves Free and Open Source Software. He promotes and provides solution to Linux and its derivatives. He has about 7 years of experience in Linux and System Administration. As a spare time, he like to work as a Freelancer and writes articles, tutorials, news on FOSS and Linux.